Garmin have announced their brand new Edge 1040 bike computer which now has solar charging. This is Garmin’s first ever GPS bike computer with solar charging, so you can ride longer and get better coverage in even the most challenging environments.
Garmin Edge 1040 – at a glance:
- Garmin have updated their premium bike computer range – Edge 1040 and Edge 1040 Solar
- Edge 1040 Solar features the Power Glass solar charging lens which extends battery life
- Accurately find your way in the wild with new Multi-Band GNSS
- Updated mapping allows you ride like a local with improved ride type-specific maps
So, let’s take a closer look at the latest Garmin computer…
In Garmin’s latest release they have announced two computers – Edge 1040 and Edge 1040 Solar. The Edge 1040 is the top-end version in Garmin’s bike computer range. New for 2022, the Edge 1040 now has multi-band GNSS technology which gives you even better coverage under the dense tree cover or remote mountain trails.
Edge 1040 Solar is the first bike computer to come powered by the sun as it features Garmin’s solar technology. The solar coupled with the multi-band GNSS technology means with the 1040 Solar you can ride for longer with the best coverage possible.
Garmin Edge 1040 Solar
Garmin Edge 1040
What’s new with the Garmin Edge 1040?
As Garmin’s most recently updated performance bike computer, what features are new and what should you look out for?
Power Glass Solar
The Power Glass solar charging lens which has been fitted to the Garmin Edge 1040 Solar gives multi-day adventure riders the chance to ride further than before. Using solar charging, the Edge 1040 Solar extends battery life, giving you up to 42 minutes per hour in battery saver mode and up to 20 minutes per hour in demanding use cases.
Multi-band GNSS Technology
For those who love an off-road adventure or taking on the most challenging environments, the Garmin Edge 1040 will always be with you. Using multi-band GNSS technology which uses satellite signals broadcasted from multiple navigation satellite systems (Find out more about it here) – provides you with better, stronger and more accurate positioning than that of previous technologies.
Giving you improved tracking and accuracy in the most challenging environments, the Edge 1040 can provide accurate location data and offer better GPS navigation for those off-road adventures.
When trekking across the wilderness, you want to ensure your data is being recorded and you know where you’re going. The Garmin Edge 1040 and 1040 Solar have some of the best battery life of any computer on the market. For comparison we’ve compared the new models to Garmin’s previous top-end bike computer.
|Battery Life||Edge 1040 Solar||Edge 1040||Edge 1030 Plus*|
|Demanding Use||Up to 45 hours||Up to 35 hours||Up to 24 hours|
|Battery Saver||Up to 100 hours||Up to 70 hours||Up to 48 hours|
- Real-Time Stamina: Get stamina feature insights while you ride, so you can keep an eye on how much longer you can really push it.
- Robust Design: With a touchscreen that’s visible and responsive in the most challenging conditions, and a newly strengthened metal quarter turn mount insert, Edge 1040 is ready for any ride.
- All-In-One Solution: Advanced GPS bike computer combines superior navigation, planning and performance tracking, cycling awareness and smart connectivity.
- Specific Training: Classify your strengths as a cyclist and compare your ability to the demands of a specific course, allowing you to focus on improving in areas that matter to you.