Garmin have unveiled details of their new Edge 1030+ and Edge 130+ cycling computers, which promise extra features for training, performance and route tracking (and lots more).
They’re multi-bike devices ready to roll on your road bike, gravel bike, MTB or city machine and will help you get the most out of your ride – before, during and after you head out.
Let’s take a closer look at each below:
Garmin Edge 1030+
The updated Garmin Edge 1030+ has many new additions including structured training guidance, mountain bike-specific outputs, smart cycling awareness features and workout recommendations.
For mountain bikers, you can seamlessly upload your off-road routes to the unit before you set off on a ride, then track the epic details of your route as you go. While you’re ‘sending it’ the 1030+ displays details like hangtime, jump count and jump distance – perfect for seeing how far you’re flying…or not as the case may be.
Other MTB features include ‘Grit’, which rates the difficulty of a ride based on GPS, elevation and other data, and ‘Flow’ which measures how smoothly you descend so you have a score to beat next time. The 1030+ is also compatible with the Shimano STEPS ebike system, offering a dedicated ebike status screen perfect for keeping track of your bikes’ battery life, the mode you’re in and other ride data.
Another little addition that caught our eye was the ability to pause off-course notifications if you decide to explore on a pre-uploaded route – perfect for those gravel spins when curiosity takes over and you want to see where that little path, bridleway or byway leads!
Out on the road and this thing’s like you’re own personal coach, allowing you to set training goals, prepare structured workouts and even suggest workouts based on your training history.
If you’re taking on a long ride like a sportive or race with plenty of elevation, then the ClimbPro feature will come in handy – you upload the route to the 1030+ and it detects the climb sections, giving you information on the grade of the climb, the distance left to the top and the remaining ascent.
Garmin’s tried and tested smart cycling features are also built into the 1030+, which includes GroupTrack and LiveTrack – essentially allowing your riding buddies and friends and family to track you while you ride. Rider-to-rider Messaging gives you the ability to send and receive pre-written messages to your group if anyone falls out of sight.
Garmin Edge 130+
This the Garmin Edge 130+, a small feature-packed cycling computer that really does pack a punch.
The first thing you notice with the 130+ is its size – it’s a rugged little thing that doesn’t take up too much bar space and tips the scales at a lightweight 33 grams. Turn it on and its 1.8” display is crisp, clear and easy to read even in direct sunlight.
Let’s take you through five of our favourite things on the new Garmin Edge 130+:
- Mountain bike features – this thing’s perfect for mountain bikers who want a slimline computer that doesn’t take up too much space. With its mountain bike dynamics it’ll track jump count, jump distance and hang time. Great for improving your trail skills!
- ClimbPro – when you’re heading out on a big ride, like a sportive, simply upload the route to the 130+ and it detects the climb sections, giving you information on the grade of the climb, the distance left to the top and the remaining ascent.
- If you’re prone to getting lost on a ride then this thing shows you where you’ve been, where you’re headed and how to get back to where you started with turn prompts and a breadcrumb map
- Cycling awareness features give loved ones peace of mind with incident detection and assistance built in so your real-time location is sent to emergency contacts if necessary
- Last but not least, if you’re upping your performance you can get training guidance by syncing structured indoor or outdoor workouts to your device from the Garmin Connect™ app or other apps, including TrainingPeaks® and TrainerRoad
Let us know what you think of each of the new computers down in the comments section below.