Australian Chris Sutton, Canadian Michael Barry and an as-yet unconfirmed rider from the professional cycling squad will line up with participants on the historic Market Square in Caernarfon for the 103-mile Etape Mawr, exploring some of the toughest and most beautiful roads in North Wales.
Team Sky rider Michael Barry can't wait to take on the Etape Eryri as part of his injury recovery plan
Michael Barry said: "Coming off my injury this will provide a great training ride, in a beautiful setting with people who like I, just love to ride a bike. It is pretty cool that Gatorade has used some of their time with the team in this way, it is always great to get out and spend time with the other people who live, eat and breathe your sport."
Organised by Always Aim High Events, Etape Eryri also has two shorter options in the form of the 76-mile Etape Canol and the 47-mile Etape Bach, meaning that riders of all standards can take part and rub shoulders with the world-class professionals.
Speaking about the news, Always Aim High Events director Nigel Kendrick said: "This is great news for the Etape Eryri. Though this is our first year, the partners that we have on board are phenomenal, to also have riders from one of professional cycling's greatest teams present is going to make the day very special for us."
Etape Eryri also recently announced that Gatorade will be the official nutrition partner for 2012. Gatorade are also the official supplier of sports nutrition to British Cycling and the GB cycling team and the deal will see the sports nutrition giant supplying the event with energy and recovery products on all three distances of this exciting new sportive.
Chris Sutton will be one of three pro riders at this year's Etape Eryri event – we can't wait to see you there!
Chris Sutton will be one of three pro riders at this year's Etape Eryri event – see you there!
Hayley Stringfellow, from Gatorade UK, added: "We are incredibly happy that we could use our relationship with Team Sky to create a unique opportunity for the participants of Etape Eryri to ride with some of the legends of Team Sky. Michael Barry is probably the hardest working man in pro cycling and CJ Sutton one of its rising stars. These guys live and breathe the notion that winning comes from within and should provide some inspirational company up and down the Welsh hills."
The Etape Eryri routes could not be more spectacular, with three distance options on offer:
– Etape Bach 47 – The shortest of the 3 routes at 47 miles, but don’t be deceived, this will be among the most gorgeous and challenging 47 miles you will ever ride.
– Etape Canol 76 – 76 miles, with some mega climbs to get your legs and your lungs burning. Equally as beautiful but a little bit tougher than the Etape Bach.
– Etape Mawr 103 – A monster 103 miles of awesome tarmac on climbs you never believed that you could ride. Set to become an instant classic!
In preparation for the Etape Eryri, or indeed any other sportive event, Gatorade have put together a really useful guide on planning your nutrional strategy. It's your day-to-day nutrition that supports your training and will ultimately improve your performance on race day.
There are a number of factors that can affect your race-day nutritional strategy:
• If you travel to a race the day before:
– Is your accommodation self-catering?
– If not, what are the food options?
• How many feed stations are there?
• How much will you take on the bike?
• What brands of drinks, gels and energy bars are available?
• What will the range of temperatures be?
Click here to download the PDF.
Entries to the 2012 Etape Eryri are now being taken online via the Etape Eryri entries page.